|Author displaying a hint of madness while working the mile 7 water stop at the Boston Tune Up 15K.|
It's taper time! Taper is a necessary evil but it is evil nonetheless.
Benefits to taper:
- I get to spend more time with the family.
- I get to stay in your nice warm bed on Saturday morning instead of lacing up in the dark.
- I get to rest up and let minor aches and pains heal.
- I get to spend more time writing blog posts.
- I get to play the "taper card" and skip a run when the weather is just a little too cold and windy.
- I get grumpy, edgy, and fidgety. Endorphin withdrawal.
- The marathon dreams become vivid and sometimes terrifying.
- My aches and pains actually seem to increase for a little while.
- I tend to get minor cold/flu symptoms when I take it easy for a few days. I'm not sure if this is real or not but it feels real.
What happens to you when you taper?