We are in the middle of crazy heat here in Massachusetts. At noon in Mansfield today, it was 95+ (probably more in the sun and pavement) and a bazillion % relative humidity. That all combines for a "feel like" temperature of "Oh dear God, every breath I take is igniting my lungs! Good thing the humidity puts the fire out."
At noon today, I set out for a standard lunch run with Scott. Our typical is 6mi at an easy 8:15ish pace.
I present to you my internal monologue from today's run. For this post my "animal survival brain" will be called Buttercup.
- Buttercup: Seriously dude? It really hot. Besides, you already dragged us out of bed to swim this morning.
- Me: Suck it up, Buttercup. We've been running in this stuff all summer. We're used to this.
- Buttercup: Come on, man? At least slow down a little.
- Me: We're fine. Only 4 more miles to go. I'll look for some shady spots.
- Buttercup: Oooh, look there's Marathon Sports. Let's go in there and get a drink and cool down.
- Me: OK. Make it quick. We gotta get back to work.
- Buttercup: Getting really hot in here. Why the hell did you shave your head yesterday and not wear a hat. The sun is hot. Are you trying to boil me? Slow the hell down and find some shade.
- Me: Hold on a little longer. Only 1.5 miles to go and we can cool off.
- Buttercup: EFF YOU! That's enough. I'm taking the legs and I'm outta here. Find your own damn way home!
Pretty sure my eyeballs are still sweating. I was not sad to discover that I am invited to a lunch meeting tomorrow.
Post a Comment